What is a Certificate of Occupancy?

It is unlawful to use or occupy a structure without a Certificate of use and Occupancy under the Michigan compiled law. (125.1513)

A building or structure hereafter constructed shall not be used or occupied in whole or in part until a certificate of use and occupancy had been issued by the appropriate enforcing agency.

A building or structure shall not be used or occupied, and a change in the existing occupancy classification of a building or structure or portion thereof shall not be made until a certificate of occupancy has been issued.

Application Process

To apply for a certificate, please complete the following steps. Applications may only be submitted after these steps are done. If you fail to complete any of these steps, your certificate will be delayed.

  1. All required inspections are done and approved.
  2. A township zoning compliance (if required) is done and approved, and submitted to the Building Department.
  3. A Certificate of Insulation affidavit for any blown cellulose insulation from the installer must be signed by the installer and dated with the job site address and submitted to the Building Department.
  4. Livingston County Environmental Health’s has given final approval for a well and septic system, or both.
  5. All outstanding fees are paid in full.
  6. A fee of $50 for a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy is paid.
  7. Your reason for applying for a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy is clearly stated. Reviews are done on a case-by-case basis.

The certificate application must be completed by the homeowner or contractor. A minimum of 48 hours from the date of the application is generally necessary for us to process your application. Our Office will call you when your certificate is ready for pickup.

Building Department
Jenny Nash, Livingston County Treasurer

Jim Rowell
Building Official



(517) 546-3240


2300 E Grand River Ave
Howell, MI 48843


Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed County Holidays

Inspection Request Line

(517) 546-3830


(517) 546-7461