David J. Reader
Chief Assistant Prosecutor
Requesting a Police Report
The Prosecuting Attorney is the chief law enforcement officer of Livingston County. An elected official with a four year term of office, the Prosecuting Attorney is independent of the Michigan Attorney General.
To preserve and protect the rights, safety, and quality of life for the residents of Livingston County through diligent efforts to prosecute criminal offenses and seek justice for crime victims in Livingston County.
- Chief law enforcement official in Livingston County.
- Reviews, authorizes, and prosecutes violations of felony and misdemeanor criminal laws of the State of Michigan committed within Livingston County.
- Reviews and authorizes petitions involving felony and misdemeanor juvenile delinquency offenses.
- Represents the People of the State of Michigan in criminal matters before the District and Circuit Courts, juvenile delinquency, parental neglect, and other matters in the Circuit Court Family Division and Probate Court; and appeals in the Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court.
- Prepares child abuse and neglect petitions, and prosecute actions to terminate parental rights.
- Attends contested mental health commitment hearings.
- Files and litigates actions to establish paternity and child support orders.