Livingston County will be closed on Monday, May 27th in honor of Memorial Day.

If your complaint is concerning an environmental emergency, please call 911 to report the incident.

Submit a Complaint

We respond to restaurant complaints and other issues involving unsanitary environmental health conditions in Livingston County. Use this form to submit a safety and/or sanitation complaint related to restaurants, public swimming pools, septic/sewer failures, etc.

Provide the Following Information:

  • Your name, address, and phone number
  • Name of apartment/hotel/restaurant, etc. you are filing the complaint against
  • Location/address of apartment/hotel/restaurant, etc. (it must be in Livingston County)
  • Name and contact information for management/person responsible
  • Nature of complaint, including detailed description (pictures can be helpful) and a summary of what actions have been taken thus far to resolve the matter

What We Will Do:

  • Livingston County Environmental Health staff may call you to discuss the complaint or incident and gather more information including whom you have reported the incident to and what you and the responsible party have done to help resolve the situation.
  • We may also call the responsible party to see if they are aware of the issue and what they are doing to remediate the situation.
  • Our role is often to serve as a mediator or communicator between the complainant and the responsible party and clarify the roles and responsibilities of both parties.  We also provide information to both parties regarding environmental issues.

What We Will Not Do:

  • Livingston County Environmental Health does not have the equipment or resources to test for mold, detect odors or other harmful substances, spray for mosquitoes, etc.  We can help you find companies that can provide these services for you.
  • In many cases, it is not necessary for us to make a site visit to verify the complaint.  We have found that most incidents are resolved when we are able to get the two parties communicating and when we can clarify the expectations of both parties. Some situations, however, will involve a site visit by our staff.  We will also refer some complaints, as appropriate, to other local or state agencies.
  • We do not handle basic customer service complaints such as rude staff, lost reservations, or wrong food orders. Please report these incidents to the facility’s management.
  • We cannot assist in breaking a lease agreement, receiving a security deposit refund, or suing responsible parties. Please seek legal counsel for assistance in these matters.
  • We cannot provide medical advice.  If you have concerns about your health, please see your health care provider.

Last Modified June 28, 2023

Environmental Health
Livingston County Health Department Logo
Matt Bolang

Matt Bolang
Health Officer



(517) 546-9858


Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed County Holidays


2300 E Grand River Ave
Suite 102
Howell, MI 48843


(517) 546-9853
How was our service?
Let Us Know