Absentee Voting

Early Voting

Election Security

Polling Location Search Tool

Registering to Vote

Sample Ballots

Upcoming Elections

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Change My Address?

  • If you move within your city, township or village, a change of address should be made with your local Clerk or at a Secretary of State Branch Office. If you have not completed a change of address prior to election day, you will not lose your right to vote. A change of address card will be completed at the polling place when you vote.
  • If you move outside your city, township or village, a change of address should be made at a Secretary of State Branch Office. The change of address may be made by mail as well as in person.
  • If you submit a change of address on your driver’s license at a Secretary of State Branch Office, the address on your voter registration record will automatically be changed as well.

How Do I Change My Name?

Any name change due to marriage or legal action should be reported to the Clerk by:

  • Mail
  • In-Person
  • At a Secretary of State branch office

A person changing their name should re-register.

Where Do I Vote?

  • There are three options to voting:
    • Absentee Voting:  Vote by mail by contacting your City or Township Clerk’s Office. Click here to find your City or Township Clerk’s Office.
    • Early Voting: Vote in-person at an early voting site. Click here from more information on Early Voting.
    • Precinct Voting:  Vote in-person on Election Day at your polling place.
  • Your voter identification card contains your polling place location and the precinct number for all elections.
  • If you are unsure of you polling place location, contact your City or Township Clerk’s Office, or use our polling location search tool.

What Are The Identification Requirements For Voters?

A Michigan voter who wants to vote must comply with the identification requirement by showing picture identification or by signing an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of picture identification. (See MCL 168.523 for picture identification requirement).

Voters With Picture Identification: Voters can satisfy the picture identification requirement by showing a Michigan driver’s license or a Michigan personal identification card.

Voters who do not possess either document may show any of the following forms of picture identification:

  • Current driver’s license or personal identification card issued by another state.
  • Current federal or state government issued photo identification.
  • Current U.S. passport.
  • Current military photo identification card.
  • Current tribal photo identification card.
  • Current local government photo identification.
  • Current student photo identification card issued by an educational institution.

Voters Without Picture Identification: Michigan election law anticipates that not all voters will have picture identification. Voters who do not bring picture identification to the polls or who do not possess picture identification can vote like any other voter by signing an affidavit. These forms will be available at your polling location.

Questions regarding the picture identification requirement can be directed to your local City or Township Clerk’s Office.

How Do I Properly Mark My Ballot?

Elections Division
Elizabeth Hundley, Livingston County Clerk

Elizabeth Hundley
County Clerk

Kristi Cox
Chief Deputy County Clerk

Joseph Bridgman
Elections Coordinator/Deputy Clerk



(517) 546-8177


Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed County Holidays

Historical Courthouse

200 E Grand River Ave
Howell, MI 48843


(517) 546-4354