Veteran photo ID cards can be used to get discounts offered to veterans at many restaurants, hotels, stores, and other businesses. You must have a Honorable or General (Under Honorable) conditions in order to receive a card. There are four ways to obtain a veteran ID card.

  • Livingston County Clerk’s Office – Please bring your DD-214 and state photo ID to the county clerk’s office. There is a $10 fee for this ID card.
  • Secretary of State – Please bring your DD-214, and state photo ID. There is no extra fee when getting the designation while renewing your drivers license. However, there is a fee if not renewing license. (Note: While you are there ask them how you can get your military designation on your license plate too!)
  • VA Website – This method will require you to log in or set up an account before you can get your ID card. The advantage of this process is that it can be done online from the comfort of home. There is no fee for this card.
  • Retired ID Card Website

Veteran ID Frequently Asked Questions

Will my Veteran ID card replace my other military ID cards?

No. Your Veteran ID Card will not replace your Veteran Health Identification Card or your Department of Defense ID Card.

What other forms of ID can I use instead of a Veteran ID card to get discounts at businesses?

  • A Veteran Health Identification Card
  • A DoD Identification Card
  •  Your DD-214 and photo ID

What can't I use my Veteran ID card for?

  • Prove your eligibility for any federal benefits
  • Access military bases or installations
  • Access military commissaries or exchanges
  • Present as a form of identification at the airport
  • Check into a VA hospital
  • Show as proof of retirement from the Armed Forces
  • Show as proof of wartime service to get a special license plate from the Secretary of State.​

Which ID is the best to have?

​It is personal preference. No card will provide more privileges over the others. Usually it comes down to which ID is more convenient to obtain for the veteran.

Do I need to have a card?

​No. These cards are only if a veteran would like one for the purpose of discounts from participating retailers.

Veteran Services
Ramon Baca

Ramon Baca
Veteran Services Director



Office: (517) 546-6338
VA National Line:


Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed County Holidays


1420 Lawson Dr.
Howell, MI 48843


(517) 546-0942