Livingston County will be closed on Monday, May 27th in honor of Memorial Day.

For a more comprehensive list of benefits and services please see the official VA website. Please be aware that there are many websites that imitate or claim to have the latest information. The official VA website is always the best source of reliable information.  

Our Veterans Benefits Counselors are nationally accredited to assist with filing VA claims and appeals. This service is provided for free. Be wary of anyone asking for payment to submit a claim on your behalf.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits

Survivors Pension

The Survivors Pension benefit, which may also be referred to as Death Pension, is a tax-free monetary benefit payable to a low-income, un-remarried surviving spouse and/or unmarried child(ren) of a deceased Veteran with wartime service. Learn more at VA Survivors Pension.

Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

​Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is a tax free monetary benefit paid to eligible survivors of military service members who died in the line of duty or eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease. Learn more at VA DIC for spouses, dependents, and parents.

Congress made changes to the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) to phase out the off set for surviving spouses who are also receiving Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) front the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA.)

On January 1, 2023, the SPB-DIC off set will be fully eliminated. That means, beginning in 2023, SPB payments will no longer be off set (reduced) by DIC. Spouses will receive full SBP (issued by DFAS) and full DIC (from VA.)

There is no action you need to take as a retiree for the changes to apply to your surviving spouse.  However, you should check your RAS to ensure your SBP beneficiary is up to date. This is especially important if you have a former spouse. Learn more at SBP.

Also, if your monthly premiums are not automatically deducted from your pay, you should ensure your account does not have unpaid monthly premiums. If you pass away with unpaid monthly premiums, this could cause hardship for your survivors. Learn more at Premiums.

For details on changes to SBP, learn more at SBP-DIC News webpage.

Home Loans

​VA helps service members, veterans, and eligible surviving spouses become homeowners. They provide a home loan guaranty benefit and other housing-related programs to help you buy, build, repair, retain, or adapt a home for your own personal occupancy. Learn more at VA Home Loans.

VA Education Benefits

Dependents and survivors of a veteran may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits or job training through a GI Bill program. Learn more at VA education benefits for survivors and dependents.

Health Care

​If you’re the spouse, surviving spouse, dependent child, or family caregiver of a veteran or service member, you may qualify for health care benefits. In certain cases, you may also qualify for health care benefits due to a disability related to your veteran’s service. Learn more at Health care for spouses, dependents, and family caregivers.

VA Help to Avoid Mortgage Foreclosure

​The VA will provide financial counseling, even if your loan isn’t a VA direct or VA-backed loan. If you are late with your mortgage payment, or think you might be late, contact your loan servicer right away. For further assistance, call (877) 827-3702 or learn more at VA help to avoid foreclosure.

Burial in a VA National Cemetery

Both the veteran and dependents may be eligible for burial in a VA National Cemetery. Learn more at Pre-need eligibility for burial.


State & County Benefits

Emergency Financial Relief

Emergency Financial Relief may be available to veterans and their dependents who are in a short-term financial crisis. Applicants must meet criteria and provide evidence that they will be able to financially sustain themselves once crisis has been addressed. For more information call us at (517) 546-6338.

Additional resources include:
National Call Center for Homeless Veterans – VA Homeless Programs

Gleaners PantryNet

County Burial Allowance

Survivors of veterans may be eligible for a one-time reimbursement for out of pocket expenses. For more information call us at (517) 546-6338.

Flag Box

​Survivors of veterans may receive a flag box for service flags of deceased Veterans. For more information call us at (517) 546-6338. 

Mental Health Assistance

​Veterans and dependents may qualify for supplemental therapy and life coaching:

Ann Arbor VA Social Work: (734) 769-7100

Ann Arbor VA for veterans in crisis: (734) 222-7600 and press 7




Replacement Discharge Papers DD-214 or Service Records

Replacement discharge papers: DD-214 or service records can be obtained online via the National Archives,

OR if you were a Michigan resident upon discharge you can request a DD-214 through the Michigan Veteran Affairs Agency.

If you need internet access, printer capability or fax capability to process your request, come to our office at 1420 Lawson Drive.

Correction of Military Records or Updating DD-214

Correction of Military Records: Fill out DD Form 149 and mail it along with supporting documents to your respective branch (address on page 3, DD Form 149).

If you need internet access, printer capability or fax capability to process your request, come to our office at 1420 Lawson Drive.

Discharge Upgrade

Please visit: How to Apply for a Discharge Upgrade

If you need internet access, printer capability or fax capability to process your request, come to our office at 1420 Lawson Drive.

Replacement Medals & Awards

Replacement Medals & Awards

Please visit: Replace Lost Medals and Awards

If you need internet access, printer capability or fax capability to process your request, come to our office at 1420 Lawson Drive.

Employment Assistance

​Our office works closely with MichiganWorks! Association to ensure veterans and spouses obtain quality jobs. For more information call (517) 546-7450 or learn more at Region L-MichiganWorks!Association.

Veterans Compensation Benefits Rate Tables

For official, up to date, pay rates, visit Current VA Disability Compensation Rates.

Veteran Services
Ramon Baca

Ramon Baca
Veteran Services Director



Office: (517) 546-6338
VA National Line:


Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed County Holidays


1420 Lawson Dr.
Howell, MI 48843


(517) 546-0942