If you are a moped operator, you must follow the same traffic rules as other motor vehicle operators. A moped is a two or three wheeled vehicle with a motor which has no more than 50cc piston displacement producing two brake horsepower or less. The moped must have a power drive system that does not require shifting gears and cannot have a top speed exceeding 30 mph on level surfaces.


A goped, while not specifically defined in the Michigan Vehicle Code, does fall under the definition of a moped (MCL.257.32b). Mopeds are required to have certain equipment such as; a headlight, brake light, seat, horn, muffler, and brakes on each wheel, in order to be legally operated on the roadway. In addition, the operator of a moped must be at least 15 years of age, have a moped license or an operator/chauffeur license, and the vehicle must be registered with the Department of State and display a valid registration plate. Finally, a person operating a moped must wear an approved safety helmet if they are under 19 years of age. Because gopeds are not equipped with the required equipment they cannot be legally driven on the roadway. Also, by definition they are a motor vehicle and therefore cannot be driven on a sidewalk constructed for use by pedestrians.

Pocket Bikes

If the “pocket bike” has an engine displacement of 50cc’s or less, produces 2.0 brake horsepower or less, is capable of a top speed of no more than 30 mph, and the operator is not required/allowed to shift gears, then it may be legally classified as a moped. Most “pocket bikes” do not meet operational and equipment requirements and therefore are not street legal. If the “pocket bike” has an engine displacement greater than 50cc’s, then it is classified as a motorcycle and must meet the requirements applicable to that type of vehicle. Again, most “pocket bikes” will not meet these requirements.

Golf Carts

Assuming your golf cart is electric powered, then it may be possible to register it as a low speed vehicle. If the cart is not electrically powered, it cannot be legally operated on a highway, (including the right-of-way) in the State of Michigan, except for very strict circumstances. In those situations, it would be defined as an ORV found in MCL 324.81101 and circumstances allowing operation on a highway while severely limited can be found in the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, MCL 324.81122. Local municipalities can authorize situations where an ORV can be operated on a highway within their jurisdiction. MCL 324.81131 defines those situations.


Sheriff’s Office
Jenny Nash, Livingston County Treasurer
Michael Murphy

Phone Numbers

Office: (517) 546-2440
Tip Line: (517) 546-8477
Jail: (517) 546-2445
Emergencies: 911
Non-Emergencies: (517) 546-9111

Office Hours

Mon-Thu: 7 a.m. -7 p.m.
Fri: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Closed County Holidays


150 S Highlander Way
Howell, MI 48843


(517) 545-9627