Secret Marriages

When a person wants to keep the exact date of his or her marriage a secret, the Probate Judge may issue a marriage license without publicity if:

  • The person makes an application under oath, and
  • The Probate Judge determines that a good and sufficient reason is expressed in the application.  MCL 551.201(1).

The Probate Judge may marry persons under marriageable age without publicity if the application for the license is accompanied by one of the following:

  • If both parties are under age, the written request of their biological or adopting living parents, and their guardian(s) if either or both of the parties’ parents are dead, or
  • If only one party is under age, the written request of the parents or guardians of the party under marriageable age.  MCL 551.201(2).

Delayed Registration of Foreign Birth

If a child born outside the United States is adopted by a Michigan resident, the adopting parent(s) may file a motion for delayed registration of foreign birth with the Probate Court in order to receive a Michigan birth certificate. MCL 333.2830. The filing fee this motion is $175. Additionally, the Michigan Department of Community Health charges a filing fee of $50, as well as $16 each for additional copies of the birth certificate. You should print out the following before filing your motion:

Drain Appeals

The Probate Court has jurisdiction in appointing a board of review for persons who want to appeal their apportionment of drain benefits. The filing fee is $175. Appeals by people who feel aggrieved by a determination of necessity or of no necessity of a drain are in the Circuit Court.

Probate Court
Livingston County Official Logo


(517) 546-3750


Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed County Holidays

Judicial Center

204 S. Highlander Way
Suite 2
Howell, MI 48843


(517) 552-2510