MSU Extension, Livingston County Dept of Planning and Genoa Township present a local learning opportunity for local officials, staff and community leaders!
There are three separate sessions – November 30 (Genoa Twp), December 7 (Handy Twp) and January 25 (Green Oak Township)
Click the Slider for Session #2 Registration Information
Other Periodic Training Sessions
Periodically, the Livingston County Planning Department partners with the Michigan State University Extension to offer their Citizen Planner training series to local planning commissioners in Livingston County.
The Citizen Planner Classroom Program is a six week course offered in a classroom setting or through video conferencing. Participants earn the certificate by successfully completing all six sessions. Courses are held during consecutive weeks at a local facility or via computer-based video conference at your home or office. Each three hour session includes lectures and hands-on learning exercises. The sessions provide the fundamentals on roles, responsibilities and best practices for planning and zoning in Michigan, including:
- Understanding the Planning & Zoning Context: Learn the legal sources and limitations of planning and zoning authority and explore your understanding of ethical decision-making.
- Planning For the Future of Your Community: Recognize the function and importance of a master plan, know the process for developing one and its relationship to zoning.
- Implementing the Plan With Zoning: Discover the importance of zoning, learn how zoning is administered and gain confidence in your zoning reviews, including site plans.
- Making Zoning Decisions: Learn how to adopt and amend a zoning ordinance, understand the role of the zoning board of appeals and obtain skills in basic property development methods.
- Using Innovative Planning & Zoning: Strategize with placemaking and design-based solutions for local and regional success in the New Economy.
- Successfully Fulfilling Your Role: Strengthen your ethical decision-making skills, apply standards to your decision-making and know when to ask for help.
Citizen Planner instructors include MSU Extension educators, MSU faculty, and practicing planners and attorneys in Michigan.