What is a survey?

A survey (accompanied with a legal description of the property) is a formal certified document that defines the boundaries of a parcel of property. It is performed by a registered land surveyor, and must contain a formal stamp or seal from the surveyor. A survey of your property must be completed before you apply for your well and sewage permits.

Why do I need a survey?

You need to have a survey performed to ensure that your proposed water supply or sewage treatment system is actually on your property. Your Environmental Health Specialist will use the survey as a reference guide throughout the permitting and inspection process.

When do I need a survey?

You must have your property surveyed if:
  • Your property is less than 10 acres; OR
  • The test holes are near an existing or proposed property line; OR
  • The Sanitarian determines it is necessary to ensure the entire water supply or sewage system is located on the property.

Exception: You will not need to have a survey performed if your property is part of a recorded subdivision or site condo. 

      For more information, please contact an Environmental Health Specialist (based on your Township) or call Livingston County Environmental Health Division at (517) 546-9858.

      Last Modified December 19, 2023

      Environmental Health
      Livingston County Health Department Logo
      Matt Bolang

      Matt Bolang
      Health Officer



      (517) 546-9858


      Monday – Friday
      8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
      Closed County Holidays


      2300 E Grand River Ave
      Suite 102
      Howell, MI 48843


      (517) 546-9853
      How was our service?
      Let Us Know