Child Care Centers, Children’s Camps, and Adult Foster Care/ Homes for the Aged are licensed through the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA). Visit the corresponding link to learn more about licensure for these facilities.

The new State of Michigan, Michigan Department of Lifelong Education, Advancement, and Potential (MiLEAP) Child Care Hub Information Records Portal (CCHIRP) system is now available. This new system helps licensed facilities manage their license and communicate with LARA. It also allows citizens to search for licensed providers in Michigan and/or file a complaint at any of these types of facilities.

Livingston County inspects these facilities as part of an agreement we have with LARA. If LARA requires you to have an inspection, you will be given an Environmental Health Inspection Request Form. Please complete the form and mail a copy to our Office with payment, if applicable.

Once the inspection request form and payment are received, Livingston County Health Department will contact you to schedule an appointment for your inspection.

The Environmental Health Specialist will use the requirements listed in the Licensing Rules for Child Care Centers. Specifically, we look at the information listed under Part 9 – Environmental Health on pages 37-43. If applicable, we will also look at Part 5 – Swimming. The requirements for Adult Care Facilities are listed under LARA’s Licensing Rules and Statutes.

Facilities that will use well water should review Type 2 Water Well permit requirements. Seasonal operations should review the Seasonal Public Groundwater Supply Handbook.


Partial Evaluation (Water and/or Sewage Disposal)
$200 + lab
Full Evaluation (Well and/or Septic)
Full Evaluation (Municipal Water and Sewer)
Resample Water
$35 + lab
Children Campgrounds - Large
$400 + lab
Children Campgrounds - Small
$300 + lab
Plan Review for New DHHS

Certified Water Labs in Livingston County:

Brighton Analytical
2105 Pless Drive
Brighton, MI 48116
(810) 229-7575

Water Tech
718 S. Michigan Ave
Howell, MI 48843
(517) 548-2505

For help interpreting your water sample results, visit Home - Be Well Informed.

Pay in-person or over the phone. For all credit/debit card payments, your statement will reflect a 3% convenience fee, minimum of $2.00.

Last Modified March 6, 2024

Environmental Health
Livingston County Health Department Logo
Matt Bolang

Matt Bolang
Health Officer



(517) 546-9858


Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed County Holidays


2300 E Grand River Ave
Suite 102
Howell, MI 48843


(517) 546-9853
How was our service?
Let Us Know