Campgrounds in the State of Michigan must have a license from the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) to operate. The Environmental Health Division conducts an annual inspection of campgrounds. They determine compliance with applicable state laws and investigate reported campground complaints.

Temporary Campgrounds also need an inspection and license. A temporary campground is a one that is to be used on a short-term basis (not more than 4 weeks). A temporary campground license is required when there are 5 or more recreational units, or sites. LCHD requires the application for a temporary campground to be submitted at least two weeks before the event. In addition to the state fees, a County fee is imposed. See Fees below.

More information, permit applications, and rules are available from EGLE. Facilities that use well water should review Type 2 Water Well requirements. For seasonal operations, it is important to disinfect your water supply before opening. Collect at least two “pre-opening” bacteriological samples least 24 hours apart. See the Seasonal Public Groundwater Supply Handbook for more information.

Public Campgrounds in Livingston County


Temporary Campground Permit
$210 + state fee
Public Campground Fee
Public Campground Reinspection Fee

Pay in person or over the phone. For all credit/debit card payments, your statement will reflect a 3% convenience fee, minimum of $2.00.

Last Modified March 11, 2024

Environmental Health
Livingston County Health Department Logo
Matt Bolang

Matt Bolang
Health Officer



(517) 546-9858


Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed County Holidays


2300 E Grand River Ave
Suite 102
Howell, MI 48843


(517) 546-9853
How was our service?
Let Us Know