Livingston Regional Sewer System
Livingston Regional Sanitary System
The Livingston Regional Sanitary System serves more than 2,000 customers located in Hartland and Tyrone Townships and contains combinations of individual grinder pumps, step-pumps and gravity connections. In 2007, the Livingston County Board of Commissioners banned the application of septage (septic tank waste) on all properties in Livingston County in order to protect its citizens from the contamination risk that is posed to surface water and groundwater. To address the need for septage disposal, the Department of Public Works designed and built a state-of-the-art septage receiving station to handle this flow located in Hartland Township. The flow is transmitted north through the Livingston Regional Sanitary System to a treatment facility in Genesee County.
In most of the systems operated and maintained by our Office, you will receive billing from your Township or Municipality.
If you have questions about your billing, please call your Township or Municipality at the number(s) below:
- Hartland Township: (810) 632-7498
- Tyrone Township: (810) 629-8631
Grinder Pump Installation
If you are going to need to install a grinder pump at your site, you will need to:
- Call us at (517) 546-0040.
- You will need to fill out and sign the appropriate application (found below,) easement form, and pay for the pump and inspections.
- Land Use Permit will be required from the municipality, regarding the sewer connection.
- Inspections by the Livingston County Building Department will also be required.
Forms & Policies
- Required Form for Grinder Pump Installation – You will need to call us for current prices. A Land Use Permit for sewer hookup is required from the township at the time of application.
- Required form for Gravity Connection to Sanitary Sewer
- Suspension of Service Policy
- Suspension of Treatment Charges Inspection Form – A fee of $225 is required to be paid at the Drain Commissioner’s Office. This policy requires permission from your township.
- Do’s and Don’ts for Pressure Systems – (including step pumps and grinder pumps)
- Do’s and Don’ts for Gravity Systems
- Criteria for Small Community Wastewater Systems in Livingston County – A guide for wastewater collection, treatment, and disposal systems for residential developments in Livingston County.