What is the guide to reuse, reduce, recycle and safe disposal? Can I print a copy?
This guide was developed to assist residents and businesses of Livingston County dispose of unwanted items in an environmentally friendly manner. It is for informational purposes only, and is not an endorsement of the businesses mentioned herein. It is a good practice to always call first to confirm the business or organizations’ services.

Download & Save Guide

How do I get rid of household hazardous waste (HHW)?

The schedule for our Household Hazardous Waste Collections is usually set by April 1st of each year. Traditionally, we host three collections – one each in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. You must have an appointment to participate in these free events. Information on the events and how to make a required appointment is available on the HHW page.

How do I get rid of paints?
If the label says to clean with soap and water, the paint is LATEX. Trash haulers cannot take liquid latex paint to the landfills, but they can take cans that have been completely dried out. Call your trash hauler for requirements and restrictions. To dry out the paint, leave the lid off the can so it will be exposed to air. You can add kitty litter, sawdust, shredded paper or any absorbing material. Once it is completely dry, put it out for pick up, but leave the lids off the cans so the hauler can see it is DRY latex paint.

If the label says to use turpentine or thinner for clean up, the paint is oil-based. Oil-based paints and aerosol paints can be recycled through one of our Household Hazardous Waste Drop Off events or a through an HHW vendor.

How do I get rid of batteries?
Many municipalities and libraries participate in the program to recycle household batteries, and have collection buckets at their sites. See also our Guide to Reuse, Reduce and Recycle and Safe Disposal, or the Household Hazardous Waste page.
How do I get rid of sharps/injectables?
The Livingston County Solid Waste Program assists residents with safe disposal of sharps. Call for information at (517) 545-9609, visit our webpage about HHW, or see our Guide to Reuse, Reduce and Recycle and Safe Disposal.

St. Joseph Mercy Pharmacy may also take your sharps. Please call first at (517) 545-6666.

How do I get rid of motor oil?
There are many businesses that will take a small quantity of motor oil from residents free of charge. For a listing of the current businesses, please see the Guide to Reuse, Reduce and Recycle and Safe Disposal. ​
Solid Waste /​ DPW
Brian Jonckheere

Brian Jonckheere
Drain Commissioner



(517) 545-9609


Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed County Holidays


2300 E Grand River Ave.
Suite 105
Howell, MI 48843


(517) 545-9658