Join Our Team
911 Emergency Dispatcher Position
Livingston County has openings for the Emergency Dispatcher position(s). This position can be very rewarding. You’ll be the first contact in an emergency and your hard work will ensure our residents receive the most efficient assistance possible.
An Emergency Dispatcher is an integral part of Livingston County public safety that provides 24-hour police, fire, and emergency medical response to the public. Extensive dispatch/public safety training is provided. You’ll find exciting and meaningful work assisting the public and being a part of the public safety team. This position receives emergency calls and dispatches law enforcement officers, fire, and/or emergency medical services throughout the County. You will utilize specialized computer systems to secure necessary information for law enforcement personnel and enter information relative to warrants, personal protective orders, stolen vehicles, and other such data. Dispatchers continually monitor availability and location of emergency units and/or designated personnel in the field.
- High School Diploma or equivalent AND one of the following:
- Six months’ experience with customer service, multitasking, leadership/supervisory experience, or responding to emergency situations in an emergency call center, fire service, ambulance service, law enforcement, hospital or military – OR –
- Completion of 48 credit hours in public safety related program at an accredited college or university (Send transcripts to email@example.com) – OR –
- Possess current certification in Emergency Medical Dispatch, Emergency Fire Dispatch, and Emergency Police Dispatch
- Have not been convicted of a violation of criminal law (Criminal law generally includes all offenses except traffic law, conservation law, and liquor law. Generally, a conviction for a violation of criminal law is automatically disqualifying).
- Must possess normal hearing and normal color vision
- One year working with the public
Must Pass the Following:
- Computerized interactive exams
- Typing test, minimum of 35 words per minute
- Oral board
- Criminal background check
- Medical exam, including a hearing exam
Must be Able to Work:
- Twelve hour shifts
Starting base pay of $42,557.63 annually and annual step increases to $48,568. Initial classroom training hours include a minimum of two 40-hour work weeks, with no overtime. Additional classroom training will be scheduled. Once initial classroom training is complete, dispatchers are assigned to a team and schedule will include mandatory built-in overtime which will be paid out at time and a half.
View the Dispatcher labor contract.