Livingston County will be closed on Monday, May 27th in honor of Memorial Day.

General Information

Stray Animals

In accordance with Michigan state law, strays are held for four to seven days in order to help the owner find and claim the animal. We post descriptions and pictures of stray animals on our website. Our website also has a database of lost and found animals. If you’ve lost your pet, we strongly encourage you to visit the Shelter in person and read these tips on how to recover a lost pet.
After four to seven days the stray animal becomes the property of the Livingston County Animal Shelter and may be available for public adoption.

Bite Reports

All animal bites should be reported to Livingston County Sheriff / Animal Control Division and Livingston County Health Department. If medical attention has been received after a bite, please read the How to File a Bite Report page, download the bite report and fax it to (517) 546-9627.

Abuse & Neglect

Please see the Animal Control page to see what constitutes animal abuse or neglect. Animal Control Officers will respond to calls and complaints and investigate to see if animal cruelty statutes have been violated. If a violation has occurred, the Officer may work with the owner to educate them on how to correct the violation or may immediately prosecute.

Wild & Feral Cats

Increasing numbers of feral/wild cats are an issue in many areas of Livingston County. While we don’t have the resources to trap feral cats for you, we can offer you assistance through our TNR (Trap, Neuter and Return) program. TNR offers a humane and effective solution to feral cat overpopulation.

General FAQ

What types of payment do you accept, and do you offer payment plans?

We accept all major credit cards, except American Express. We also accept Debit cards, checks, and cash. We do not accept “Credit Care” cards.

We do not have payment plans, you are expected to pay in full when the service or adoption is completed.

How many dogs am I allowed to own?

Please check with your local municipality. There is no state law regulating pet ownership however most cities, villages, and townships have their own limits on the number of pets allowed per household. Most municipalities allow three per household, but you must call to confirm what is allowed where you live. Please be aware that having more than four dogs in a house may require a special permit depending on why you have the dogs (ie., breeding, boarding, grooming, etc.).

My pet is sick. Can you treat them?

No. Our staff Veterinarian only treats Shelter animals. For vaccines, declawing and microchips and other services, please visit a Veterinarian in your area.

I saw a cat stuck in a tree, or a dog out on the ice. Who should I call?

Call Livingston County Central Dispatch at (517) 546-9111 for Animal Control assistance or your local fire department. Livingston County Animal Shelter does not have a ladder or other types of safety equipment necessary for these types of situations.

Animal Nuisance FAQ

There is a dog running around my neighborhood. What do I do?

If you feel you can safely confine the dog, please do so. You can call Livingston County Central Dispatch at (517) 546-9111 and an Animal Control Officer will be sent to your location. The Shelter will not send an Officer out on a call for a loose dog that is not confined. Typically, by the time an Officer arrives on the scene, the dog is gone. If you know who owns the loose dog, please give their address to an Animal Control Officer and they will go to the owner’s home and speak with them about responsible pet ownership.

A dog left its yard and came after me in my yard or the street. What do I do?

If you or your pet have been threatened by a dog coming off their property and it is unattended, please call Livingston County Central Dispatch at (517) 546-9111 and an Animal Control Officer will be sent out to investigate. You will need to have the address of dog’s owner in order for 911 to send an Animal Control Officer.

My neighbors dog barks all the time. What can I do?

If you think that you have a legitimate barking complaint, please contact your local municipality. Each city, village, and townships has noise ordinances that they are responsible for enforcing. In order for an Animal Control Officer to investigate a barking dog, they must be able to witness the dog barking. Barking calls are not a high priority and will only be handled in between emergency calls.

Will you pick up loose cats in my neighborhood?

No. Livingston County Animal Shelter or Animal Control Officers will not come out and pick up stray cats.

We will accept stray cats at the shelter from Livingston County residents who find cats in the country and bring them in. You can use a live trap from us if needed to catch the cat. ($50 refundable deposit)

Animal Control Officers only go out on calls involving cats if there is suspected abuse or neglect.​

Caring for Horses FAQ

I can't afford to feed/keep my horse. What should I do?

The Michigan Horse Welfare Coalition has a program that can offer temporary help with hay. They have a hay bank and you can apply for a hardship. The Coalition may also be able to put you in contact with a horse rescue. You can reach the Michigan Horse Welfare Coalition at (517) 321-3683.

There is also a horse rescue in Livingston County called Horses Haven. They may be a good resource if you can no longer afford to keep your horses. Please do not wait until the last minute because it can take time to find a new home for your horse and rescues need ample time to place animals.

What is the minimum care a horse needs? When does it become neglect?

Please be aware that State of Michigan law does NOT require that horses have a specific shed, barn, or lean-to be provided in the pasture for shelter. By law, a tree line can be considered shelter. Therefore, it is hard for the average person to discern whether horses have adequate shelter. If you are not sure or you are concerned that horses/livestock have no shelter at all and no trees, please call Livingston County Central Dispatch at (517) 546-9111. You must have the address of the residence in question for Animal Control Officers to investigate the complaint.

The State of Michigan Penal Code states that every horse needs to be provided with daily adequate care just like small animals, including: food, potable water, veterinary care, and clean facilities. If you are concerned that horses/livestock do not have land/property for the amount of horses/livestock, you can call the local municipality of the property owner to inquire how many horses they are allowed, or contact Animal Control to investigate.

Christy Peterson
Animal Shelter Director



(517) 546-2154

We are closed weekdays from 1:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. for lunch

Animal Viewing Hours

Mon – Fri
11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.

11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Closed County Holidays

Office Hours

Mon – Fri
8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Closed County Holidays


418 S. Highlander Way
Howell, MI 48843

Non-Emergency Complaints

(517) 546-9111


(517) 546-0232